Much of the med device sales career is dependent on psychology and having the right mindset. The number one thing I have seen holds most people back is that they let their lizard brain control them. In this episode, we talk about what the lizard brain is, how if affects you and what you can do to avoid it and break into the business!
What is the lizard brain?
It is the amygdala. It refers to the oldest part of the brain, the brainstem, responsible for primitive survival instincts such as aggression and fear (“flight or fight”).
This part of the brain is what causes you to trigger the fight or flight mechanism. It is the driver of emotions of; fear, anger, and negativity. Its job is to keep you from trying anything risky or new. This part of the brain is focused on keeping you in your safety zone and encourages you to get a plan b. One of its favorite things to whisper to you is to,”shut up, sit down and do what you’re told.”
It is hard wired to help you survive, not to thrive.
How does it affect you?
- Overly critical
- Invent anxiety
- Make excuses
What can you do to avoid it?
- Don’t make a plan b
- Train yourself to do the exact opposite
- Embrace failure as a learning experience
- Stay true to your goal
Next Steps to take:
- Take note of what commitment means to you and then commit. (Big difference between commitment vs. Interest)
- Make failure your friend and create an environment that reinforces that
- Take action and don’t make a plan B, you’ll break into medical device sales!
Thanks to our Sponsor, Med Reps!